Some of the more alarming findings from the sucralose toxicity studies include:
- Reduced grow th rate in newbornand adult rats
- Decreased red blood cell count in mice
- Decreased thyroid hormone (T4) levels in male rats
- Abnormal liver cells and enlarged livers in rats
- Genotoxicity (DNA damage) to cells of the mouse gastrointestinal tract (this study was one of the few studies on sucralose performed by independent researchers, not the product’s manufacturers).
- Shrunken thymus glands in rats(indicative of compromised immune function).The immunological, gastrointestinal, and thyroid-related effects of sucralose are especially disconcerting as they mimic many of the known toxic effects of other chlorocarbons.
- Skin disorders – rashes, welts, acne, and flaky, dry skin
- Gastrointestinal disorders – stomach upset, acid reflux, cramping, worsening of irritable bowel symptoms
- Respiratory disorders – wheezing, shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Joint pain
- Flu-like symptoms